Organic is a word used so often today. We have organic produce, honey, make-up, the list goes on and on but what is organic? About four years ago, our good friends, The Petersons introduced us to Abundant Harvest Organics. The fruits and vegetable are picked the week days before you receive them on Saturday morning. The process is simple. You pay the deposit for the crate, small or large, that you get the produce in and return weekl;y for a new one. How do you pay? Simple, by credit or your debit and it is a weekly reoccurring charge. The produce changes weekly because whatever is in season or is being picked is what you get. This morning I picked up my large basket and had a beautiful watermelon, plums, potatoes, lettuce, carrots, beets, squash, chocolate mint, and beautiful tomatoes. Now, what I have found is how much sweeter and more delicious the food is. The corn, tomatoes and even carrots is wonderfully sweet. The lettuce is gritty with dirt or actually mud because it WAS just picked. Organic is not using harmful pesticides on your food, not waxing the cucumbers, apples and other produce that you consume and this does mean it might spoil faster but wouldn't you rather know that food is what nature and God intended it to be; healthy?
Now what I have found is that by cleaning and washing my lettuce when I get it home and making it into a salad in a big tupperware container with just the basics like shredded carrots and red cabbage, I have a great base for an incredible salad and I am now more likely to eat that even for a snack. I am also realizing that if I really need sweets, well, I just need to make it myself.
Yesterday, I made mini cinnamon rolls for a spa party with the girls. That was SOOO much fun and I have missed my girls. I ate 2 1/2 mini rolls but before the party I had a wonderful stuffed pork loin stuffed with low moisture Parmesan, garlic and basil served with salad and pasta. By eating a sensible meal before the party, I did not pig out.
How do you feel about food and why? Is it your midnight buddy when you cannot sleep, can you not sleep because you just pigged out at dinner? Did you have McDonalds and let's face it peeps, that stuff does not mold or change for months now that is preservation. Think about what goes into your bodies and if the food that enters your body is toxic how does that effect your mind?
If your reading this, good eats to you. I will have some websites to post for research on nutrition, one being coconut oil, which I love for a moisturizer on my arms and legs. Wow has it made a difference. Before you take your next bite, ask yourself, "what am I putting into my body?"
sounds like you have a CSA. our Fresh City Life cooking demos this month are using your CSA stuff. today we had 2 awesome cold soups, lettuce with cucumber and strawberry with rhubarb.
ReplyDeleteEEEWWWWW, that sounds very good. Please share recipes when you get a chance. I am wanting to try a watermelon gazpacho here soon. I love our CSA and love the quality.
ReplyDeleteLove it Case! I miss my AH box...sigh.
ReplyDeleteI have an awesome Watermelon Gazpacho recipe that was served in at a tea room nearby.
WATERMELON GAZPACHO
8 cups finely diced seedless watermelon, (about 6 pounds with the rind)
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
2 tablespoons minced shallot
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
PREPARATION
1. Mix watermelon, cucumber, bell pepper, basil, parsley, vinegar, shallot, oil and salt in a large bowl.
2. Puree 3 cups of the mixture in a blender or food processor to the desired smoothness; transfer to another large bowl.
3. Puree another 3 cups and add to the bowl. Stir in the remaining diced mixture.
Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Substituting the chocolate mint for the Basil would be fantastic! Enjoy!
oh thank you. I will be trying this very soon and anticipate it's yumminess.
ReplyDelete