Time to blog, time to evaluate a new course, time to let go of past insecurities and develop a present state of mind. It's time!
We had foreign exchange students here from Wakayama Japan last week. We were so busy going, going, going and it was fun. I loved their ambition to learn our culture. Their eagerness to learn our language and their wanting of a connection to us as a family to become apart of theirs. We did and it was fantastic. Wakayama, Japan is our sister city and every year we have a cultural exchangeof students. These students come to Bakersfield and live with a host family. We have never met before and all I can think is, "I will treat them as if they are my own, just as I would want a family in Japan to treat my child", and it was easy. Sayuka, Sayuna and Fuka were so easy to love, so easy to just enjoy and we loved showing them our favorite places. We went bowling, to the beach, ate clam chowder and fish and chips. Introduced them to salt water taffy and our beaches with sand(theirs are rocky and not sandy). I miss them so very much and when I think of them, as I am now, I cry just a bit because they have won over a part of my heart. Each girl is so very beautiful in her own way. They each call me their American mom, Chris, dad, Aimee their sister and Alex their brother who teases... I learned from them this summer. I learned that the past is the past. Learn from it and move on. Prejudice is not welcome here. I learned that the Android phone has a helluva translator and am thankful for it. Although sometimes they laughed if my slang was used and it came out funky. I learned love is given and received if your heart is open to it. I learned that using chopsticks to eat cereal slows you way down eating but it CAN be done. I learned soo much.
How did this help my weight loss challenge? I liked how they made me like myself more. Their hugs, their smiles, their joy was all wonderful and I wanted to get out and do more, even more with Aimee and Alex. I want to experience more of this life and I want my kids to experience more culture. I loved how they treated my daughter and just wanted to be with her. It's time to look at the person, not the shell. Sometimes the shell gets worn and ugly but all it needs is tender loving care and a good shine up and we can be as good as new. Tender loving care. It's time to enjoy the little things no matter how small. Wow, is it time.
No comments:
Post a Comment